Saturday, May 17, 2008

Salt, Light, and Baby powder!

"You are the salt of the earth; ….."You are the light of the world. …..Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matt 5:13-16 (NASB)

A Mother was 3 months pregnant for the third time yet this time it was different there was danger. She was in her mid-thirties and not in perfect health. The doctor’s claimed that both the kidney medication and thyroid medication she had to take for her own health, could and should cause severe retardation. More than likely the child would be retarded or deformed unable to ever fully take care of itself. The doctors requested serious consideration as to the possibility of an abortion. To the husband the doctors added that the chance of him loosing the child and loosing his wife where significantly higher than usual. They may both die if this child is taken to term.

At best, your child will be mentally retarded. Worst case, you loose both of them. I suggest you abort the pregnancy – the risk is too high!

The Couple takes a moment to think things over. The doctor is not out of the room before the mother speaks up, “Dead or alive, I am keeping this child! ” In the time it takes a butterfly to open its wings the choice was made. The husband explains to the doctor, “You heard her. We will take whatever the Good Lord chooses to give us. He is smarter than all of us anyway, even you, Doc! ” That night as the mother lay sleep less in bed she thought of a story she had read about a woman named Hannah. Hannah was a praying woman. She was child-less but in her prayers gave to God the fruit of her womb. And God gave her a child after she had first, given the child to God. Laying her hand on her stomach, the mother prayed,


God – I give you the fruit of my womb! Whatever it be, I give you this child, I consecrate this child to you and your service. Jesus, let this child be a witness of you, whatever it be. In frailty show yourself mighty. In weakness display your glory. I give this child to you, whatever it be…… And Lord, don’t let me die… I like the smell of baby powder. Amen


The mother roles over on her side the saltiness of her tears wet her lips. This is how the salt of the earth live and how the salt never looses it savor. The mother smiles, for her God is God and her God is Good, whatever it be!


In the time it takes to smile, my mother was given her answer. On September 12, 1976, six months later, she received back to herself, what she had given. She was alive, I was pronounced a healthy baby boy and life smelled like baby powder. The same doctor who reasoned my death marveled at my life. I have been told that at my discharge, he waved good bye with a bible in one hand and a clip board in the other. The doctor called me his little light; the light that showed him God is real. His little night light that helped him to read the book as true. It is a family joke, that he is the first person I ever led to the Lord. My first convert: a southern doctor that tried to kill me. All I did was be born, yet in the plan of God, I was born to the salt of the earth; people that know how to believe, pray, and bring light into this world.

"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. ….Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill.

Matt 5:13-15 (MSG)

Don't hide your light! Let it shine for all; let your good deeds glow for all to see, so that they will praise your heavenly Father.

Matt 5:16 (LB)

No comments:

Post a Comment